Gmail is a free email service of tech giant Google. It was launched on April 1, 2004. There is no doubt that this mail service is similar to other email services. You can send, receive emails, block spam, send an attachment, photos, links, create address books, create the label and perform other basic email tasks. However, there are some unique features of Gmail that distinguish from others.
Google lets you access, every product from one Google account. Signing up for a Google account is free and easy. Creating an account such as Google, YouTube, Gmail will redirect to the same create a google account window. After login to google account then you can access every product through the same account.
Of course, you don’t need to use these features. You can also sign up for an email now. Below are some of the popular and powerful features of Gmail that are listed below.
Gmail has a number of useful features that make working with your email as smooth as possible.
- Spam filtering Spam is another name for spam. Gmail uses advanced technology to keep spam from reaching your inbox. Most spam messages are automatically sent to another spam folder. Spam messages are deleted after 30 days.
- There is also a group feature. Each time you send an e-mail, the conversation usually takes place on a particular topic or event. By default, Gmail groups these emails to better organize your inbox.
- You can use voice and video chat instead of sending instant messages or sending emails. NOTE: You must give access to a microphone and camera to send voice and video.
- This feature is similar to voice chat, except that you can dial your actual phone number and make calls worldwide. You can call anywhere in the United States or Canada. Or you can call other countries at a lower price.
How to Use Gmail
This article will teach you how to use Gmail. We’ll go through some of the basic features like sending emails, manage inbox, creating contacts and other tasks. The important thing to remember is that to use Gmail, you must have a Gmail account.
Login into Gmail
1. Open a browser of your choice and go to https://www.gmail.com.
2. After clicking on Gmail.com new page will appear with options to sign in, for work and to create an account. Click on the “Sign in” link.
3. You will be redirected towards the new sign-in page. Enter your Email or phone number in the box.
4. Verify that you have entered the right email or phone number then click on the ‘Next’ button.
5. Enter your password in the password box and click on the “Next” button.
6. After successfully entering the password. The home page of the Gmail account will appear.
Watch this Video Guide for the Steps to Login Gmail:
Sending an email using Gmail
Sending an email is only possible if you already have a Gmail account. Sign in processes are shown above. I will continue through the Gmail account home page.
1. Click on the compose button: It is in the top-left corner of the page. After you click on compose, the new message window will pop up in the bottom left corner of the page.
2. Enter your receiver email address: The recipient email address must be in the “To” section, with whom you want to send mail. You can add the email address of multiple people just by pressing the tab key. If you want to add CC or BCC click on the corresponding link. After clicking on CC or BCC individual box will appear below To box.
3. Click on the subject text box: Here you have to give the subject to your email address. Generally, the subject is written using few words.
4. Type your message: In the larger box below the subject, type whatever message you want to send to your receiver.
5. Formatting and add attachments to an email: Gmail provides thee features to format messages. Features are to send files, pictures or links as an attachment.
Formatting – To use various formatting options like making bold to certain texts, underline, changing fonts, alignment, and bullets and numbering. Click on the formatting option at the side of the send button.
Files – to add files to your email click on the paper clip shaped icon (Attachments). Now the window will pop up to select the desired file you want to send.
Attach link – Next, to Attach Files icon there is an insert link icon. To add any links to your email, click on it. Edit link window will pop up. Enter text to display and web address. The web address must have the redirecting URL.
Insert emoji – next, to insert link icon there is a small happy face icon. To add emoji, click on it and select the emoji you want to insert in your email. Generally, emoji are used to express your feeling.
Insert File using Drive – If you want to send files more than 25MB, uploading to google drive and sharing the link is one of the best options. If you have any file in the google drive then you can also click on the insert file using the drive icon. You have an option to select a file from your google drive or can upload to drive and send as drive link or attachment.
Insert Photo – click on the photo icon next to the “insert file using the drive” icon to send a photo. Select the location of the image and select the image to upload.
Confidential mode – by turning on the confidential model your email can be secured. Recipients won’t be able to copy, print, forward or download your email. You can also set the expiration date and passcode of the email you have sent. To use the passcode in your mail you must check the SMS passcode box. Finally, if your preferences are set, click on save.
6. Click on the “Send” button: This will send you an email to the specific recipients. Remember to verify your recipient’s address, subject, and body.
Open an email: Click the email subject to open the email in your inbox.
To exit an open message, click the left arrow in the upper left corner of the message.
Search by email. You can scroll through the messages in your inbox. Click the search bar at the top of the page and enter what you’re looking for, such as subject or sender.
Select an email address if necessary: If you want to select email groups, select the checkbox to the left of each email.
This feature is useful when moving or deleting many emails at once.
To select an entire email page, check the box in the upper left corner of the email above.
Mark the letter as read: Select the mark you want to read, and click the open envelope icon at the top of your inbox.
Opening an email marks it as read.
Email archive: Email archiving allows you to save emails without storing them in your inbox. To archive, a letter, select the letter and click the arrow icon at the bottom of the page.
You can find your archived emails by clicking the All Mail folder on the left side of the page. but scroll down the left menu to find this option (and/or click More) need to do it.
Delete the email: To delete an email from your inbox, select the email you want to delete. Click on the “Deleted Email” icon at the top of the window.
Deleting an email from your inbox doesn’t mean it’s gone forever. They are moved to the Recycle Bin folder, stored for 30 days, and then deleted automatically.
Mark mail as spam: Spam can reach your inbox. Select and click to mark these emails as “spam.” The icon is at the top of the inbox, the email is added to the spam folder, and Gmail is instructed to add similar messages to the spam folder in the future.
Messages from the same sender may be marked as spam several times and then disappear from your inbox.
Save as Draft: If you want to start working with email but don’t have time to complete it. Save it as a draft. Wait for the word “Draft Saved” to appear at the top of the “New Message” window. Now you can close. Then you can open it from the Drafts folder on the left side of the page.
As with All Mail, you need to scroll down or click Details to find the Drafts folder.
Create a new label And Manage label
Understand how labels work. “Tag” is the version of the Gmail folder. Assigning an email tag will add the email to the Tags folder on the left menu.
1. To do so, open Gmail settings. Click the settings gear image in the upper right corner of the page and click “Settings” in the drop-down menu.
2. Click on the Labels tab: This is a tab at the top of the window.
3. Scroll to the “Labels” section. This section is at the bottom of the page. This will bring up a list of custom shortcuts.
This section is empty if no shortcut has been created.
4. Click on the “Create a new Label” button. This is at the top of the Labels section. A pop-up appears.
Enter a label name: In the text box at the top of the pop-up window, enter the name you want to name for the label.
If you want to add a label to an existing tag (similar to placing a new folder in an existing folder). You need to select the Add tag below checkbox and select a tag from the drop-down menu.
5. Click on Create. Create button is located at the bottom right corner of the New label window. Your new level will be created.
Remove existing Labels as needed: Click on the remove that appears after clicking on any levels.
- In the Tags section, scroll to the tag you want to delete.
- Click Delete to the right of the shortcut.
- When prompted, click Delete.
Add an email to the label: Select the email you want to add to the labels. Click the labels then click the Labels you want to use in the drop-down menu.
You can check many label options. Then click on apply. You can also create a new tag from the drop-down menu by clicking on “Create new tag” and entering a name for the tag.
Displays the contents of the label: After you create a shortcut and add an email, you can view it by clicking the shortcut name on the left side of your inbox.
To see all tags, you need to click Details and then scroll down from the left side of your inbox.
If you do not want to delete messages in the Inbox tab, you can archive them.
Click the “Applications” icon as highlighted in the image. It is located at the top right corner of your primary mailbox. A pop-up menu with google services will appear.
Click on the “blue humanoid” icon to open the contacts. These contacts are added from your mail services and from your android mobiles.
Check your contacts: Depending on whether you’ve used Gmail before or not. Your contacts will appear here. All contacts from your Gmail and synchronized from mobiles are available here.
Contacts info including names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses.
Click on “Create contact”. It is located at the top left corner of your Contacts screen. “Create new contact” window will appear”.
Enter the contact’s first and last name. Enter the contact’s first and last name in the First Name and Last Name text boxes. First and last name text boxes are located at the top of the pop-up window, respectively.
Enter the contact’s email address. Enter the contact’s email address in the Email text box.
You can add additional information, such as contact’s phone numbers, photos, Company, Job title but this is optional.
Click on the Save button: It is located at the lower right corner of the window. Therefore, save the contact and add it to your account’s contact list.
Delete a contact
To delete a contact: Scroll to the contact’s name and check the box to the left of the name.
- Press ⋮ located at the top side of the page as shown in the image above.
- Click Delete from the drop-down menu.
- When prompted, click Delete.